Keyboard shortcuts in Configura
This time, our Tips & Hints present some useful keyboard shortcuts that can help you speed up your work even more!
Adjusting camera height and target height
By pressing and holding down the Ctrl key while dragging one of the three yellow camera snap points (marked with red arrows in Figure 1), you can easily change Camera height and/or Target height.
Figure 1: Pressing and holding down the Ctrl key while dragging the yellow snap points (pointed out with arrows) makes it easy to adjust the camera height and target height.
Note: Using this quick command for adjusting the camera and the target height, there is no need for the Camera Settings dialog to be open, however this command is also accessible from the Camera tab in the Camera Settings dialog.
Selecting and grouping
If you, for example, want to move several components (which are not snapped together) at the same time, or change the color or material of several components at the same time, you can do this by selecting multiple components. Selected components constitute a temporary group. You can work with both the Ctrl key and the Shift key to select components as fast and easy as possible.
A. Using the Ctrl key:
- Press and hold the Ctrl key and click on the components that you want to group.
- Release the Ctrl key.
- The components are now temporarily grouped and display yellow snap points.
B. Using the Shift key:
- Press and hold the Shift key and position the mouse pointer next to one of the components that you wish to include in a temporary group.
- Click and hold the mouse button while moving the mouse pointer to create a rectangle.
- Release the mouse button and the Shift key and a light-blue rectangle is visible in the drawing area. All the components inside the rectangle are selected and temporarily grouped together. You can now choose to move the whole group, or change the properties of all the objects within the group.
Making a group permanent
You can easily turn a temporary group into a permanent group, for example by using the shortcut key Ctrl + G. A permanent group is framed by a light-blue rectangle around the activated components (see Figure 2 below). The rectangle has a snap point inside it on the right-hand side. You can use the snap point to rotate the entire permanent group. To do this, you click on the snap point and drag it. You can also move the group by clicking anywhere inside the rectangle and dragging.
Figure 2: A permanent group that can be moved or edited.
To ungroup a permanent group, you can use the shortcut key Ctrl + U.
Activation is a basic function in Configura. Many options in the software require the component you are working with to be activated, i.e. selected. A component is activated when its yellow snap points are visible. To activate several components at once: press and hold the Ctrl key at the same time as you click on the components you want to activate.
In Configura, there is a Zoom rectangle that lets you magnify a specific part of the drawing area. You can select this feature from the Scale menu or from the toolbar. But you can also use the Ctrl key.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key and position the mouse pointer next to one of the components that wish to zoom in on.
- Click and hold the mouse button while moving the mouse pointer to create a light-blue rectangle.
- Release the mouse button and the Ctrl key. You will now see a magnified image of the previous contents of the blue rectangle.
Working with CAD layers
A Cad drawing consists of a number of entities sorted in different layers. Clicking on the Drawing Data button on the Import and Export tab opens the dialog Imported Cad Drawing Data (see Figure 3 below).
Figure 3: The dialog box Imported CAD drawing data where you can select layers to work with.
It is possible to select several layers at a time using the Shift key or the Ctrl key. All changes made after will then affect all selected layers.
The way in which components snap to one another is determined in advance on the basis of permitted combinations of components. For example, this means that it is not possible to bring out a new desk component and position it anywhere you want in relation to an existing desk component, unless snapping is deactivated. Deactivating snapping involves temporarily changing the built-in rules. If snapping is deactivated, various combinations of components can be put together, which otherwise would not be allowed. This applies to different components, such as desks, chairs, windows, walls, text boxes etc.
To deactivate snapping when you position a component on the drawing area, follow the instructions below:
- Select a component from one of the component tabs.
- Drag the component to the drawing area whilst holding down the Shift key.
- Now you can position the component where you want, without snapping it to another component in the drawing area.
Common Windows keyboard shortcuts, available in Configura
F1: Opens the Configura help file.
Ctrl + N: New drawing. You are asked first if you want to save changes to the current drawing before a new drawing opens.
Ctrl + O: Open. Opens the Open dialog for you to browse for a file that you want to open.
Ctrl + S: Save. Saves you work.
Ctrl + Z: Undo. Undoes that last action that was made.
Ctrl + Y: Redo. Redoes the last action that was made.
Ctrl + P: Opens the Print Settings dialog.
Ctrl + C: Copy. You can for example select a component and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
Ctrl + X: Cut. You can for example select a component and press Ctrl + X to cut it out.
Ctrl + V: Paste. If you have copied or cut a component, you can place the mouse pointer in the drawing area and press Ctrl + V to paste it.
Del: Delete. You can select a component and press Delete to remove it.
Alt + F4: Quit program. You are asked first if you want to save changes to the current drawing before quitting.